Old Town

Old Town
Tallinn

Monday, October 24, 2011

Settle down buddy your'e in a different country...

So I'm back on this thing after a tough week.  Let's just say it all worked out.  I wont go into too much detail but sometimes when the chips seem stacked against you, you want to give up and quit while your'e ahead.  I been taking it easy out here and enjoying a new country and new culture and new ideas.  The weather is still crazy it can be ridiculously cold one part of the day and extremly mild for the second half of the day.  Many things are about to change though with the time and my living situation, but it should be a fun and at times bumpy ride.

A note to anyone who plans on moving over here, don't send any electronics in the mail, they make you pay taxes on it, and they open your mail.  I was blown away by this but I guess some Soviet stuff is still in place.  My lap top had to be fixed before I got here soooooo it had to be sent in the mail, unfortunately I have to pay taxes on it, I want to go in there and be like WTF is wrong with you guys, but I cant do that because it will get me nowhere fast.  I been trying to keep what to talk about in these blogs on my phone as like a message to myself.  Stuff like keep your American bank account open and just take from there, this eliminates the ridiculous wore transfer fees and waiting for this or that or the other.  Never bring a check with  you always use travelers checks and other extensive financial advice from this or that.  I started going to this burger joint called Hesburger, its from Finland and its a good alternative to McDonald's when you're out grabbing fast food. As promised I went to a mainstream movie theater and got to have popcorn with my movie this time! They did have Pepsi and its the first place that I have seen with Pepsi...I saw ;argin Call about Wall Streets lies and I also checked out Elite Killers about some British cover up mercinary type of film.  They were both entertaining.  However I saw another movie this weekend DRIVE-- shit is hot, if you havent seen it you should and see what your own opinion will be, half the people who see it like it the other half not so much, I guess its a love hate type of deal.  Someone said they were expecting it to be more like the directors first film PUSHER a Dansk film that is very good.  The thing is you can't make that type of movie for the American market and expect to really get a return on your investment.  So you have to adjust as a film maker for the audience you are trying to reach, some elements carried over to the film but for the most part I thought that this was a step in the right direction for the director.



I have also been privledged enough to check out a few girls basketball games and  I gotta tell you they go hard over here.  Other than our schools team wearing skirts it was pretty intense the first game I caught the score was like 75-76 with a last second shot barely missing.  Our team won, the next game was a JV vs Varsity type of game the team they played was noticeably younger but they did what they were supposed to do and crushed them by 59 points 107-48, it was crazy, I've never seen a team get totally dominated like that live in front of my face.  Hopefully the team can keep that momentum going for the rest of the season.  They look strong and I really think they could prolly beat our team...


I had another perk of meeting someone who is locally famous and tagged along for free to Club Privé it was a helluva night filled with drinking in VIP, dancing on a stage that literally shook when the bass thumped. And yeah the girls were of the model quality.  We made the most of it and had a good time, I can't really write about alcohol or drugs anymore because every time I do someone send me a message that says ''are you ok?'' or ''You cant write this or that...'' honestly fuck it, I go out and have a good time take it how you want.  Back to this club, this is probably where you want to go to get an idea of the night life in Tallinn, its a little more exclusive with prices and stuff but I got in for free bitches! So I took advantage.  Anybody who knows me knows that clubs are not my thing maybe a once a month type of deal but living here I don't mind it so much the only thing that is kind of whack is the music I mean they still play DMX--Lose my mind...I don't mind it so much but break something new for the people.  My favorite spot in Tallinn is Embassy Bar tho hip hop on the weekends and we just found out Wednesday night is half off cocktails so I think a trip there on Wednesday is in order especially with no classes this week. 


On Sunday I caught the Rugby World Cup Final and I gotta say, I don't know shit about that game, it made me want to watch some NFL really bad.  The score was 8-7 and France went down against New Zealand.  It was good to watch something different, and I guess broaden my horizons there was another American there, well his accent was anyway and he was the only dude in the room really rooting for NZ, The crowd was more pro France and as I was told FR was a huge underdog.  The closeness of the score was a triumph for them being that all the papers said they would get smashed.  I equated it to USA going to the World Cup Final in soccer.  Something that seems possible but so far away.

I guess I should get out of here and make some of my day worth it I might go see DRIVE again I thought it was that awesome.  Maybe Coca Cola Plaza is still playing that Danny McBride movie.


Until I get back, c u next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment