Old Town

Old Town
Tallinn

Monday, October 3, 2011

Don't forget your Jacket

Its been about a week since my last post and I know some peeps back home are wondering what I been up to?  Not much actually...  I got my Baltic Film and Media School card so now I am only going to be checking out fancy shmancy Art House Films why you ask, because it's free dummy.  I went to see the ''Rabbit Hole'' yesterday it was alright, not a bad movie but I don't think it was the best either, most of the Art House Films are depressing and they do have a good thing about them which is that they make you think, like what if I went through that or what if I found out my wife is a slut how would I really react, but every now and then you just want to see some mindless action or some slap stick Danny Mc Bride comedy.



On another note I went to a bar in Tallinn called Woodstock, and let me tell you something there is absolutely nothing Woodstock about it.  People of Color beware stay the eff outta this place.  There's a Confederate flag on the wall and the people that came into the bar after me well they looked like part of the Aryan Brotherhood or some shit.  Some say the flag represents ''History not Hate'' but to a lot of black people in the states it represents a dark part of Americas past that needs the door shut on.  There was a deal on beers tho 3 for the price of two, I drank my beer and had a shot looked around and got the hell out of there.  It was still early I made the decision to roll out when I saw a group of guys that were not so welcoming roaming through the bar.  I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover but in that case I decided to.  It was a Wednesday night and what I was doing out I had no clue.  Its like every night there is some sort of party or bar having some sort of event or something is going on.  Me and my French friend rolled down to a more inviting bar called Hell Hunt, it was kind of sporty and the waitresses were cute.  The beers were the right price and the atmosphere was pretty laid back and cool but of course this was Wednesday, try that bar on the weekend and its a whole different story.



The weather has been pretty Danish as of late we had a good weekend of weather with the sun shining and pretty mild temperatures, but then came Monday and it was wet, like real wet it rained and poured all day, I didn't make it to my first class but that's a different story, and from the looks of it on Facebook a lot of other classmates didn't make it to class either.  Just one of those lazy morning/afternoons.  It's funny because being black and walking through Tallinn you get a lot of looks and some pretty mean stares.  The old people look at me with mad looks because they lost the Cold War and the young people look at me because a lot of them have never seen a black guy before in person like at all.  It can get a little frustrating at times like in my mind ''OK get over it'' but at the same time I guess it's good that they are getting exposed to something new, besides all they really know is what they see on TV or in the movies and I guess me not dancing or playing sports is not feasible for them to understand.  I was outside of the bar Shooters (hot spot) when I struck up a conversation with a guy, he asked me where I was from and I gotta admit if you say Canada there's not much conversation after that, I said Canada but messed up and said Quebec (French Speaking part) so he started talking in French.  Needless to say I was exposed and outed as an American...  we continued chatting for a bit when a few dudes who were in a band jumped in and asked me ''Where is the weed at?''  this is a common occurrence anytime I go out on the weekend I get asked that question at least 2 or 3 times.  My response is ''I'm looking myself'' and I try to keep it moving.



On Saturday Tallinn is pretty drunk!  Like people stumbling over themselves drunk.  I don't get it.  It was like 10pm and some underage girl is yelling in our faces that its Saturday, and how her ''dream is to adopt a black boy'',  they treat weed like Heroin meanwhile people are throwing up in the streets, hey I guess its a classic case of Different Strokes for Different Folks.  Tallinn is growing on me though.  I know where to take buses and where to get good food, well decent food and I also know where to go for drinks and after last week where not to go for drinks.  This week I made a promise not to go out at all but if there is a flat party I will go.  I like those because you can just bring a bottle of something and sit back and have a good time.  Conversation is usually good and there is always a good ratio of girls and guys so no one is really left out in the cold except for when people start talking in groups in their own language.  Sometimes it can be annoying sometimes you just take it in as an experience and a true example of how big the world really is even if your just in one room.  Until next time safe travels wherever you're headed.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have made your way to the embassy and introduced yourself! Be careful out there...and stay low.
    All you have is a short time take advantage of what the film program has to offer...it will be over before you know it...the question will be ...then what?
    Love you to LIFE!

    ReplyDelete