Old Town

Old Town
Tallinn

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Nimeta(The bar with no name)

In keeping up with my promise of updating this blog once a week.  Its time I talk about the places I don't mind going to.



There is a bar/club that I go to regularly on the weekends its called Nimeta or the bar with no name.  They play sporting events on their TVs (mainly football) and they also apparently play NFL games on Sundays.  I have yet to go to this bar on a Sunday but when I do you can bet there will be a post about it.  Last week I went there and saw a Euro qualifier between Turkey and Germany.  It was good to get involved in the atmosphere for the first time seeing a European Match in a European Bar.  Although it can not compare with going to an actual match it was pretty close.   There were many games on the TV screens all throughout the bar.  Russia was playing Slovakia, England was playing Montenegro and Estonia was playing Northern Ireland.  Every game had a crowd of people watching it.  The game I watched was filled with Turkish and German fans cheering and jeering both sides.  I knew it was coming tho:  Germany smashing Turkey.  The Germans took a 1-0 lead into half time and came out on fire in the second half (2-0).  It was closed out by our household (Reader Lane) favorite of the World Cup Bastian Schweinsteiger on a PK (3-0).  Something about the last name and his intimidating presence on the pitch that makes him seen super human to us back home.  The Germans were bigger more conditioned and younger to stop.  Unfortunately my Turkish friend was not too happy about the result and after the match the majority of the Turkish crowd flaked out and went to another bar.


The bar is an alright place, it's always alive and filled with people from wherever just drinking and for the most part having a good time.  Of course there are your occasional fights and fits of rage but what bar is complete without that?  The girls come in and out dividing their time between Nimesta and the more contemporary bar/club Shooters next door.   It has quite a small dance floor that always seems pretty packed after 1am and has two separate bars on in the front and one in the back.  Don't worry about whether the girl bartenders are hot because yeah they are, maybe its the form fitting shirts, the tight jeans or the skirts that seem a lil too short to work in, well by Starbucks standards anyway.  The only problem with the bar is that it plays the same damn music all the time.  I guess maybe because it's Europe and they really don't know how to rock a crowd like the DJ's back home, but I mean c'mon lets get something other than LMFAO featuring whoever played and hear something a lil different I don't think the crowd will care that much.  And here's another hint you can't play the same song more than 3 times in one night unless its like some exclusive shit.



If you're looking to go out and get a little wild then this is your place.  There are several other bars in the vicinity so you can pretty much bar hop without hopping too much or at the very least you can stumble into about 5 good bars all in the same square.  If you want to go somewhere a little more quiet then I really can't recommend a place that is very quiet especially not on the weekends.  So your best bet would be to go out on a Wednesday or a Thursday.  Friday and Saturday you can forget it!  Everywhere is jumping off and sometimes the crowds can be a bit of a turn off.  I have been to a few other pubs in Tallinn but this is where the action is for the most part.  I am still in tourist mode though and hopefully I will find a bar that is a little more laid back even on the weekend.  I don't mind going out but unfortunately it will get very tired for me very soon especially when the weather gets extremely cold, hopefully I'll have some sort of flat by then and I can throw some flat parties and get something going on like that.  Just like Biggie said ''Play the crib/when its mink weather''...


Until next time keep it level wherever you're headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment