Old Town

Old Town
Tallinn

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Here goes nothing

Another week is underway here in Tallinn and I gotta tell you guys this place is growing on me slowly but surely. I am starting to take different busses and getting around town is getting easier and easier, if you ask me simplicity is the norm out here. Other than the free wifi which is just about everywhere in the city center it seem like people have a good grasp of what they need.  Overall its more about what you need and not what you want.  I still dont have TV and I'm just about done with this Jay-Z book so my reading selection is about to be resduced to the suggested readings of my professors, I hope they are good books but as long as its media related it should be good for me, I dont read much but when I do it is books that I can relate to or am interested in but I will tell you that I havent read this much in my life back home I only really read books on the toilet or skimmed thru something here and there, but here time is of the essence and I got a heluva lot of it on my hands.
I don't wanna turn this blog into a movie critic blog which those of you who know me, know I can do that pretty easy if I wanted to. But I saw  Lars Von Tier's newest  movie last night called Melahoolia with Kirsten Dunst, Keifer Sutherland and the kind of ugly kind of sexy chic from The Science of Sleep, visually it was pretty stunning, the sound was great and the actors performances were pretty remarkable.  We had a group assignment to watch the film in a group take a picture with your group and write a short review about the movie.  I was the only American in the group and I was also the only one who didn't really like the movie overall.  If you are planning on seeing the movie then you should probably stop reading this right now and flick back to Facebook or something. I was not thrilled by the tone of the film which as you can tell with the title Melanhoolia (Melancholy)it would be pretty sad, well that's exactly what I got from it, Kirsten Dunst plays some depressed chic who brings everyone around her some form of depression, she's like a parasite eating away at anyone trying to have a good time, add to that the whole end of the world theme and there's your movie. It just was long and dragged on to me and I just couldn't get into the movie like that.  There is no explanation for her depression other than the possibility that it could have been hereditary based on the actions of her mother.  Add to that she is the only person in her family with an American accent and you can kinda see where I'm going with this.  Bottom line is if you wanna see a movie with good visuals and sound go for it, but if you need more of a story with some explanation and tying of loose ends then you probably should just go see something else, oh yeah BTW the movie is like 2.5 hours long which is too long for my ass to be sitting in the theater waiting for more to happen.  My group members saw different they could relate to certain parts of the film as with the wedding in the first act and they liked the style-- Danish Minimalism style on a larger scale with actors they were accustomed to seeing in this or that or the other.  The girls I think were more entranced with Kirsten Dunst who bared all with class I might add and of course''Jack Bauer''. But for me I just needed more you have all this going on and at the same time nothing is really going on.  Overall it was an interesting take on the end of the world and for that I can say hey it was OK.
That picture up there is my dinner from a few nights ago tomatoes with Mozzarella and olive oil peper and some slices of turkey, it turned out a lot better than I thought it would.  I think I'm gonna go check out Mullholland Drive tonight at the theater and see what the deal is, its always good for me to see a David Lynch film over and over again because each time I see one of his films I get a different take o it, that and the fact that I am totally in love with Naomi Watts...Until next time y'all be cool.

1 comment:

  1. the food looks tempting...I'll make sure I have the ingredients on hand when you make it back to the states!
    I've never seen Mulholland Drive.... I thought you were talking about Mullholland Falls with Nick Nolte...I'll see if I can get a copy of Mulholland Drive.
    Take care...

    ReplyDelete