Old Town

Old Town
Tallinn

Monday, September 19, 2011

The weekend that was or was it

Well I been here for two weeks and bam some dude on the bus with a bunch of drunk Estonians drops the N bomb. Oh well you gotta be like MLK out here and not the Brother Minister Malcolm. That was pretty like disturbing but in the back of my mind it had to happen sometime or another. Besides I been called Nigger since I lived in Florida so its always been there lingering around. I found out a day or two later that Nigger is a word for black in Estonian language...At the end of the day racism is too big of a problem for me to worry about it. A few days later I was in the computer lab at school and a guy came up to me and was like ''...so you're a real American?'' and I'm like yeah I guess. I automatically thought of the Hulk Hogan theme song ''I am a Real American''. I started hanging out with my tutor and a few other tutors from school, its good to hang out with some people a lil closer to my age, they seem nice and inviting for good conversations about relationships and well maybe a little gossip too, but its fun to know who is into who and what is into what. Other wise it would be sort of boring I'm not one to gossip really and people know that I go to my wits end to find out the truth before I say anything and if it isn't true then I don't mention it.
Now about the girls: being black does'nt really hurt your chances in the Baltic States, the Lithuanian girls are pretty nice and the Estonian girls love to stare and give a little smirk, the only trouble I'm having is finding out when it's appropriate to cross the line into-- like do u wanna go get some food or something? At the same time you do not wanna ruin a good thing when you have it going, so I'm kinda at a crossroads, the guys are gonna be jealous of you no matter how you act. I have had some good times in the bars with the girls dancing, that's another thing, the way we dance in the states is like basically sex on the dance floor, which is not how they do it over here unless you are actually with the girl you are dancing with. So your best bet is to just follow their lead and dance with the flow. I have found a ffew bars that have a dance floor and have a pretty good DJ Embassy Bar is one of these places, the only thing is that the club does'nt really jump off til about 12:30 or 1 am so going out can be cool but its best to do it in groups. The club doesnt literally end until about 4 am and at that point there is no Public Transportation and if you dont speak the language good luck with the cabs. You can call them and the price will be about half of what you will pay if you take a standing cab, go figure but some cabs will totally rip you off if you let them. Either way being black you should probably be in a group of people after a certain hour because it can be a toss up for your safety and your humility.
After my last run in with a cab driver I tried to give my address I got frustrated and totally walked home which from the city center is an hour long wake give or take 10 minutes but it gets shorter every time you walk it. I was just informed that its time for class sorry to leave ya hangin but you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment